Portable Storage for Your Home Remodel
How Door to Door Can Help You
Whether it’s a small addition or a major overhaul, there are enough things to think of when you are about to embark on a remodeling project. Door to Door wants to make things easier for you with our portable storage containers. Each container holds up to 1 or 1 ½ rooms worth of belongings, can be delivered to your door and are secure & accessible at all times. Why try to cram it all in the garage or load, unload, store, load, and unload it all again at a storage facility? Let Door to Door help you get off on the right foot with your renovation project and call for a free quote today! In the meantime, check out our tried & true remodeling tips listed below.
Top 10 Remodeling Tips
- Plan Ahead – Think about appliances/fixtures well ahead of time. Start perusing home improvement stores and scouring the internet for the type of look you want so that your contractor can give you the most accurate bid. If undecided about something, the contractor can always build in an “allowance” but in reality, those allowances often end up being less than needed.
- Require A Precise Contract – After several meetings with your potential contractor, insist that he/she build out an explicit contract, indicating as many details as possible. The more information you have on this contract the less likely you’ll be to need an attorney in the end.
- Tap Into Contractor Resources – Unless you are well educated with the quality of a product and know how building material auctions work, we suggest tapping into the bulk discount often offered by your contractor. In addition to bulk discounts, you might also find a good, resourceful contractor who knows how to find “scraps” from several sources that match materials on your list and save you thousands of dollars in the process.
- Be Smart With Design – When designing your remodel whether it’s with an architect or on your own, be smart. Skip the soaking tub if you never have time to take a bath and put a little more into a larger, high-end shower. Make sure you plan with stock sizes in mind; this will save you from the cost of custom fabrication. Utilize unused spaces like attics or under stairs so you are not wasting space. Think about efficiency, maintenance and long-term costs of your project.
- Make Decisions Wisely & Efficiently – Last minute design changes or delayed product delivery due to a decision crisis will cost you time and money. You are best to stick to your original decision and avoid the dreaded change order.
- Listen To Your Contractor – Assuming you’ve done your homework in picking out a reputable contractor…they know what they are doing. If they recommend that you replace rotting wood before finishing up the cosmetic look you were going for, trust them. If they say you can’t move the kitchen sink, believe them. Better to totally rebuild than do a major remodel? Consider their position and take them seriously. You can always get a second opinion, and you don’t want to be paying for costly mistakes 10 years down the road.
- Have A Contingency Fund – We all know what this means. Inevitably there are things not planned for when in the midst of a remodel. Parts on backorder, parts missing, something unexpected wrong with the “bones” of the house….you name it, it’s happened. It’s best to set aside an emergency fund for any mishaps. A good rule of thumb is to add 15% – 20% to your total budget. If you are lucky enough not to have any problems, you’ll have a great vacation fund left over when you are done.
- Don’t Build In Peak Season (if you can avoid it) – Most contractors need business year round. If you are in an area where there are no seriously severe weather restrictions, book your remodel for something other than peak season, which is generally during the summer and September thru December. You can save anywhere from 3% – 6% on your remodel/renovation this way.
- Put Some Elbow Grease Into It – A little skill and effort here and there certainly add up. Here are some ways to save money: Do your own demolition (make sure you know what you are doing); Take care of clean up yourself for approximately $150/day in savings; Can you do finish work? Painting? Insulation? What about hauling your own materials? All of these things add up to quite a chunk of savings in the end.
- Store Your Items in Door to Door Containers – With all the planning and stress involved with a remodel or renovation, the last thing you want to think about is renting a truck, loading your stuff, driving to storage, unloading it all and then doing it all again when the job is over. Door to Door portable storage containers are delivered right to your door. Our affordable, easy to load, secure, portable home remodeling storage containers keep your things safe while still allowing you to access them whenever you want! Each container can hold 1 to 1 ½ rooms!
Why choose Door to Door?
Door to Door is committed to delivering quality moving and storage solutions as well as the kind of
exceptional customer care you will recommend to your friends and family.
Through all of your life transitions, we'll be here to take care of you.
Need packing tips?
- Protect your belongings with moving blankets, boxes and bubble wrap
- Sort containers by room - separate your garage, bedroom and kitchen
- Pack items tightly to avoid shifting during transit